Areas of Expertise
Nationalism, Nation- and State-Building, Social Order, Diaspora Policies, European Politics.
Harris Mylonas. Diaspora Management Logics, Unpublished book manuscript..
- Kendrick Kuo and Harris Mylonas. 2019. “Nation-Building and the Role of Identity in Civil Wars,” Ethnopolitics.
- Harris Mylonas. 2019."Nation‐building policies in the Balkans: an Ottoman or a manufactured legacy?," Nations and Nationalism, Volume 25, Issue 3: 866-887. 2019.
- Alexandra Délano Alonso and Harris Mylonas. 2019. "The microfoundations of diaspora politics: unpacking the state and disaggregating the diaspora," Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, Volume 45, Issue 4: 473-491.
- Harris Mylonas and Marko Žilović. "Foreign policy priorities and ethnic return migration policies: group-level variation in Greece and Serbia," Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, Volume 45, Issue 4: 613-635 (with Marko Žilović)
- Harris Mylonas. 2017. "Nation-Building," Oxford Bibliographies in International Relations.
- Harris Mylonas and Nadav Shelef. 2017. “Methodological Challenges in the Study of Stateless Nationalist Territorial Claims,” Territory, Politics, Governance, Volume 5, Issue 2: 145- 157.
- Keith Darden and Harris Mylonas. 2016. "Threats to Territorial Integrity, National Mass Schooling, and Linguistic Commonality," Comparative Political Studies, Volume 49, No. 11: 1446-1479.
- Harris Mylonas. 2015. "Methodological Problems in the Study of Nation-Building: Behaviorism and Historicist Solutions in Political Science," Social Science Quarterly, Volume 96, Issue 3: 740–758.
- Harris Mylonas and Nadav Shelef. 2014. “Which Land is Our Land? Domestic Politics and Change in the Territorial Claims of Stateless Nationalist Movements,” Security Studies, Vol. 23, Issue 4, 754-786.
- Harris Mylonas. 2014. "Democratic Politics in Times of Austerity: The Limits of Forced Reform in Greece," Perspectives on Politics, Vol. 12, No. 2 (June): 435-443.
- Enze Han and Harris Mylonas. 2014. “Interstate Relations, Perceptions, And Power Balance: Explaining China’s Policies Toward Ethnic Groups, 1949-1965,” Security Studies, Vol. 23, Issue 1, 148-181.
- Keith Darden and Harris Mylonas. 2012. “The Promethean Dilemma: Third-Party State-building in Occupied Territories,” Ethnopolitics, Issue 1, March, pp. 85-93.
- Harris Mylonas. 2020. “The Enduring Promise of the European Union,” in Erik Jones (ed.). European Studies: Past, Present, and Future. Agenda Publishing, pp. 193-96.
- Harris Mylonas and Ariel Ahram. 2019. “Hierarchy, Sovereignty, and Adaptation in the Eastern Mediterranean,” in Litsas, Spyridon and Tziampiris, Aristotle (eds.) The New Eastern Mediterranean: Theory, Politics and States in a Volatile Era, Springer, pp. 31-43
- Harris Mylonas. 2018. "The Political Consequences of the Crisis in Greece: Charismatic Leadership and Its Discontents," in Evdoxios Doxiadis and Aimee Placas (eds.). Living Under Austerity: Greek Society in Crisis. New York/Oxford: Berghahn Books, pp. 46-66.
- Harris Mylonas and Kendrick Kuo. 2018. “Nationalism and Foreign Policy,” in Cameron G. Thies (ed.). The Oxford Encyclopedia of Foreign Policy Analysis, Volume II. Oxford University Press, pp. 223-242.
- 2020. Review of Alexandra Délano Alonso’s From Here and There: Diaspora Policies, Integration, and Social Rights Beyond Borders, New York, NY, Oxford University Press, 2018. In Migration Studies.
- 2020. Review of Alan Gamlen's Human Geopolitics: States, Emigrants, and the Rise of Diaspora Institutions, Oxford University Press, 2019. In EUI's Global Citizenship Observatory series. 2018. Review of Zeynep Bulutgil’s The Roots of Ethnic Cleansing in Europe. Cambridge University Press, 2016. in Nationalities Papers, Volume 46, Issue 5, pages 916-919.
Mondays 2 - 4pm or by appointment
PSC 2332 European Integration (for undergraduates)
PSC 2338 Nationalism (for undergraduates)
PSC 6362 Nation Building in the Balkans (for MAs)
PSC 8104 Qualitative Research Methods (for doctoral students)
PSC 8388 Nationalism and Nation-Building (for doctoral students)
IAFF/PSC 6388 Nationalism in Europe (for MAs and doctoral students)