Undergraduate Student Resources & Opportunities

From studying international politics abroad to taking advantage of life-changing internships in Washington, D.C., undergraduates have many opportunities to enrich their political science studies. The Department of Political Science and the broader university also offer academic, writing and funding resources along the way to make the student experience as productive, supportive and enjoyable as possible.



How to Declare a Major or Minor

  1. Meet with an advisor during Undergraduate Advising Hours.

  2. Fill out a Declaration of Major/Minor Form (will be provided at office hours).

  3. Submit the signed declaration form to the Undergraduate Advising Office.

    Gaby Desir

    "At GW, one semester I had a class on the American presidency, and the next semester I saw what it’s like to work for the president [as an] intern at the White House. It was the opportunity of a lifetime."

    Gaby Desir
    BA ‘16

    Study Abroad

    For many Political Science Department students, their fondest undergraduate memories stem from their time spent studying in another country. Many political science students take courses abroad and transfer the credits to GW.

    Unless the course has been pre-approved by the Political Science Department, students must submit classes taken abroad for approval. To do so, follow the instructions on the Office for Study Abroad website.


    aerial view of the Eiffel Tower


      "I took Arabic and International Relations courses, but it never really clicked until I was speaking with local Jordanians who lived through the historical events I was studying in class. Studying abroad places you outside your comfort zone and challenges you in new ways."

      Nada Mohamed-Aly
      BA ‘18

      GW Resources 

      Departmental Walk-In Advising Hours
      Stop by during open hours to speak to a Political Science Department advisor about your courses, workload, internship questions and more.

      Academic Commons
      Book peer tutoring or review sessions, research and writing help, step-by-step study strategies, language support and more.

      GW Libraries
      Explore on-campus libraries, electronic periodicals and online research databases.

      Language Center
      Sign up for English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses, practice with language meet-up groups, take a language exam or talk to someone about waiving language requirements.

      CCAS Undergraduate Advising
      Get assistance from your Columbian College academic advisor to navigate declaring a major or minor and other academic support.

      Writing Center
      Make a free appointment to work with a writing consultant on your next project, from the brainstorming phase through drafting and revising.

      Center for Career Services
      Take advantage of career and job search coaching, self-assessment services, résumé development, networking and more. (Services offered to students and alumni.)

      Center for Undergraduate Fellowships and Research
      Search and apply for undergraduate fellowships and research awards.

      Luther Rice Undergraduate Research Fellowship
      Apply for a fellowship to support a research project carried out over several weeks or across multiple semesters.

      Sigelman Undergraduate Research Enhancement (SURE) Awards
      Apply for a $500 grant to fund research project supplies, conference travel, off-site archival visits, videography and more.

      Student Accounts Office
      View current tuition and aid information. Applicants who request financial aid will be considered for all forms of aid available based on criteria including undergraduate GPA, courses taken, recommendations, extracurricular activities and GRE scores.

      Student Financial Assistance
      Look for scholarships, Federal Work-Study positions, military benefits and other funding assistance.

      Student Research Commons
      Find paid research jobs, fellowships, seminars and other events available in the GW community.

      Undergraduate Research Award
      Apply for this $5,000 research award, open to first-years, sophomores and juniors.